Saturday, November 5, 2011

Veterans' Week - Gerard Richard

I just learned from Genealogy Canada that this week is Veterans' Week. That gave me an idea for a short series, so this week I will be sharing the military service records of my relatives who fought in World Wars I and II.

Today's veteran is Gerard Joseph Lionel Richard. He was my great uncle, the brother of my paternal grandmother. He was born on May 22, 1919, in Manitoba (probably Sainte-Anne). He was the fifth child of Alphonse and Bertha Richard.

He was a trooper in the British Columbia Dragoons, R.C.A.C., unit, in World War II. On April 18, 1945, at the age of 25, having almost made it out of the war, he died. I don't know how, as I haven't yet ordered the full record from Library and Archives Canada.

Stay tuned this week for more military records from my family tree. Do you have relatives who fought in a war? Tell us about them in the comments, or blog about them and leave a link in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment