Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Veterans' Week - Leslie Austin Angus

The veteran of the day in my family tree today is Leslie Austin Angus.

Leslie was my great grandfather. He was born on April 9, 1893, in Drayton, Pembina, North Dakota, the son of Robert Byron Angus and Julia Orange Johnston. He is one of my few relatives to have been born in the United States. Several lines of my family on both sides moved to North Dakota and then back into Canada, at a time when that area was great for homesteading. By the time Leslie joined the Canadian Overseas Expeditionary Force, he was living in Barwick, Ontario.

Leslie fought in World War I. He survived the war (lucky for me!), and went on to marry Mildred Grace Watts and have 8 children, including my grandmother. He died on June 3, 1974, in Fort Frances, Ontario.

Stay tuned this week for more military records from my family tree. Do you have relatives who fought in a war? Tell us about them in the comments, or blog about them and leave a link in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment